Gel and Acrylic Nail Services in Ottawa
Gel vs. Acrylic Nails: Which One is Right for Me?
There are benefits and drawbacks to both gel and acrylic nails. Both nail types are very beautiful, stylish and are very popular choices for our Ottawa clients. However, there are some features of both nail types to consider that makes them unique. The following is a list of pros and cons of each type of nail to help you make the right choice for your lifestyle.
Pros of Gel Nails
- No need to shave down the natural nail to accommodate the gel.
- The integrity of the natural nail is saved.
- Durable and less prone to chipping and cracking.
- More flexible than acrylic nails—they have a tendency to bend easier with force.
- Do not require a primer, reducing the risk of an allergic skin reaction.
Cons of Gel Nails
- Luster and brilliance fades faster than acrylic. Will last up to two weeks.
- Has a thicker texture on the nail, since no extreme filing is done on the natural nail.
- Polish texture is thick and prone to dents if scratched.
- If a nail chips, it is harder to salvage the rest of the nail and you will most likely have to have it re-done.
Pros of Acrylic Nails
- If a nail chips, it is an easy fix and can most likely be fixed quickly while salvaging the nail.
- Very shiny and hard.
Cons of Acrylic Nails
- Application of acrylic requires the natural nail bed to be filed down, and this increases the risk of infection and damage.
- Takes longer to cure under the UV light.
When choosing the right nail type for you, it is important to consider your lifestyle so that you make the right choice. Some questions to consider are:
- Do you use your hands often?
- Do you perform heavy lifting often?
- Do you submerge your hands in water (e.g., to do dishes)?
Some of these questions may help you determine which nail type would be suitable for your lifestyle. As a general rule, gel nails are more durable and flexible and therefore better suited to those Ottawa clients who use their hands for work or to cook and clean often. Acrylic nails have a tendency to break and are therefore recommended to people who do not do a lot of physical labour or work with water. Since moisture increases the risk of infection, it is not recommended to invest in acrylic nails if you work with water often. Instead, consider choosing gel.
If you have more questions on this topic, do not hesitate to call our Ottawa salon today. One of our knowledgeable nail technicians will be sure to answer all of your questions and help you make the right choice that will suit your budget and lifestyle. Do not hesitate, call us today to schedule an appointment and enhance your life by choosing gel or acrylic nail enhancements!